Very tasty, but calorie-dense...so save it for special occassions if you're watching your calorie intake! It makes great leftovers, too. I didn't use the almonds, mostly just to save calories, and it still tasted very rich and delicious.
More From Oxmoor House
Total: 55 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 458
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated fat: 8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Protein: 29.9g
- Carbohydrate: 41.9g
- Fiber: 5.1g
- Cholesterol: 74mg
- Iron: 2.2mg
- Sodium: 588mg
- Calcium: 424mg
- 4 cups broccoli florets, cut into (1-inch) pieces
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 ounces grated fresh Parmesan cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/3 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, divided (about 1 cup)
- 4 cups cooked long-grain brown rice
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 2. Cook broccoli in boiling water to cover 5 minutes; drain.
- 3. While broccoli cooks, place flour in a Dutch oven or large saucepan. Gradually add broth, stirring with a whisk until blended. Bring to a boil, stirring with a whisk; reduce heat to medium, and cook 5 minutes or until mixture thickens. Add butter, stirring with a whisk until melted. Add Parmesan cheese, next 4 ingredients (through pepper), and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, stirring until cheeses melt. Stir in broccoli, rice, and chicken.
- 4. Spoon rice mixture into a 9-inch square glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with remaining cheddar cheese, and sprinkle with almonds. Cover and bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 additional minutes or until bubbly and top is browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note