This was just so-so. I didn't bother parboiling the broccoli first, just tossed it with salt and pepper and a little bit of olive oil before adding it to the pan. I also added a bit of Italian seasoning to the chicken. So it had a decent flavor, but the problem was that it was very watery when I took it out of the oven. I don't know why, because the sauce was nice and thick when I poured it over everything, but it didn't even re-thicken upon standing. I don't know if this was my fault or the recipe's.
Classic Chicken Divan is the perfect one-dish meal for those busy weeknights. This version gets lightened up but still retains its savory flavor.
More From Allyou
Bake: 30 Minutes
Total: 50 Minutes
- Calories: 390
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated fat: 7g
- Protein: 41g
- Carbohydrate: 19g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 93mg
- Sodium: 701mg
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli (about 3 large heads), chopped
- 24 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot or onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1/4 cup dry sherry or white wine
- 6 ounces shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup seasoned whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add broccoli and blanch 3 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop cooking.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Mist a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- 3. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Mist a large skillet or grill pan with cooking spray; place over medium-low heat. Cook chicken, turning once, until browned and almost cooked through, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat; transfer chicken to a cutting board. When cool, slice chicken into bite-size pieces.
- 4. Warm a medium skillet over medium heat. Add butter and 2 tsp. oil; heat until butter has melted. Add garlic and shallots and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle flour over mixture and whisk until incorporated. Stir in broth, milk and sherry and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in half of Swiss cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- 5. Arrange broccoli in baking dish and pour half of sauce on top. Arrange chicken on top and cover with remaining sauce. Sprinkle with remaining Swiss cheese and Parmesan; top with bread crumbs. Drizzle with 1/2 tsp. olive oil.
- 6. Bake for 30 minutes or until browned on top; serve hot.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note