This was just delicious! And it makes a LOT--my 6 qt. crockpot was full to the brim! We froze half the stew and half the dumplings (separately). Can't wait to have it again!
Chicken and Cornbread Dumplings
Make a classic chicken and dumplings recipe even more Southern by topping the vegetable-and-chicken-packed stew with cornbread dumplings.
More From Southern Living
Total: 5 Hours, 40 Minutes
- 3 skinned, bone-in chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 lb.)
- 6 skinned and boned chicken thighs (about 1 lb.)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 pound carrots, sliced
- 1/2 pound parsnips, sliced
- 4 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 (10 3/4-oz.) cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 (32-oz.) container chicken broth
- Cornbread Dumplings
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup self-rising yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1. Prepare Chicken: Rub chicken pieces with salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning. Place breasts in a 6-qt. slow cooker; top with thighs. Add carrots and next 3 ingredients. Whisk together soup and broth until smooth. Pour soup mixture over vegetables. Cover and cook on HIGH 3 1/2 hours or until chicken shreds easily with a fork. Remove chicken; cool 10 minutes. Bone and shred chicken. Stir chicken into soup-and-vegetable mixture. Cover and cook on HIGH 1 hour or until boiling.
- 2. Meanwhile, prepare Dumplings: Whisk together flour and next 3 ingredients. Make a well in center of mixture. Add milk, butter, thyme, and parsley to dry ingredients, gently stirring just until moistened.
- 3. Drop dough by 1/4 cupfuls into simmering chicken mixture, leaving about 1/4-inch space between dumplings. Cover and cook on HIGH 30 to 35 minutes or until dumplings have doubled in size.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note