- 3 skinned, bone-in chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 lb.)
- 6 skinned and boned chicken thighs (about 1 lb.)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 pound carrots, sliced
- 1/2 pound parsnips, sliced
- 4 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 (10 3/4-oz.) cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 (32-oz.) container chicken broth
- Cornbread Dumplings
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup self-rising yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
How to Make It
Prepare Chicken: Rub chicken pieces with salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning. Place breasts in a 6-qt. slow cooker; top with thighs. Add carrots and next 3 ingredients. Whisk together soup and broth until smooth. Pour soup mixture over vegetables. Cover and cook on HIGH 3 1/2 hours or until chicken shreds easily with a fork. Remove chicken; cool 10 minutes. Bone and shred chicken. Stir chicken into soup-and-vegetable mixture. Cover and cook on HIGH 1 hour or until boiling.
Meanwhile, prepare Dumplings: Whisk together flour and next 3 ingredients. Make a well in center of mixture. Add milk, butter, thyme, and parsley to dry ingredients, gently stirring just until moistened.
Drop dough by 1/4 cupfuls into simmering chicken mixture, leaving about 1/4-inch space between dumplings. Cover and cook on HIGH 30 to 35 minutes or until dumplings have doubled in size.