- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups self-rising white cornmeal mix
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 425°. Sauté first 4 ingredients in hot oil in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until tender. Remove from skillet; wipe skillet clean.
Stir together cornmeal mix, buttermilk, and next 4 ingredients just until moistened. Stir in onion mixture and chicken just until blended. Pour batter into hot 12-inch skillet.
Bake at 425° for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.