To the person who thought it bland, try some salt. Most recipes are a springboard. When I make this ill add some cumin as well. Don't be afraid to add your own spices
Chicken and Corn Summer Chowder
Both rich and light, this one-pot meal has a fresh, bright topping of avocado, tomato, cilantro, and lime. Prep and Cook Time: 50 minutes.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 504
- Calories from fat: 41%
- Protein: 37g
- Fat: 23g
- Saturated fat: 7.9g
- Carbohydrate: 40g
- Fiber: 4.8g
- Sodium: 733mg
- Cholesterol: 109mg
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 6 cups reduced-sodium or homemade chicken broth
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken (from a 2 1/2- to 3-lb. roasted chicken)
- Kernels cut from 3 ears corn (about 3 cups)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and chopped
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1. In a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat, cook bacon until fat renders and meat starts to brown. Add onion, reduce heat to medium, and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle with flour and cook, stirring, until flour smells cooked (you should get a whiff of baked piecrust) but hasn't started to brown, about 3 minutes.
- 2. Add potatoes and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to keep mixture simmering and cook until potatoes are barely tender, about 5 minutes. Add chicken and corn and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and stir in cream to taste. Heat through, about 2 minutes. Serve in soup bowls, garnished with tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, a squirt or two of lime juice, and pepper to taste.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note