This soup was good, but I think it could have used more hominy and less chicken. I couldn't find canned tomatillos so I used fresh, I used rotisserie chicken, and I made plain corn muffins, but otherwise I followed the recipe. I like the suggestion of the other reviewer to add the whole can of hominy, because now I'm sitting with two cups of hominy in my freezer, and I'm not sure I want to make this recipe again.
Chicken Posole and Corn Bread Muffins
Photo: Jason Wallis; Styling: Cindy Barr
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 399
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 28g
- Carbohydrate: 49g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 102mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 687mg
- Calcium: 83mg
- 1/3 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 minced seeded jalapeño pepper, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 (6.5-ounce) package corn bread and muffin mix
- Cooking spray
- 5 canned tomatillos
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 1 cup canned white hominy, drained
- 2 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. Combine milk, chili powder, 1 tablespoon minced jalapeño, and egg in a bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add muffin mix; stir just until combined. Divide batter among 4 (8-ounce) ramekins coated with cooking spray. Place ramekins on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes; remove muffins from ramekins.
- 3. Combine remaining minced jalapeño, tomatillos, and next 4 ingredients (through black pepper) in a food processor; process until almost smooth.
- 4. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion; cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Stir in tomatillo mixture, stock, and hominy; bring to a boil. Add chicken to pan; simmer, covered, 5 minutes. Turn chicken over; simmer, covered, 5 minutes or until chicken is done. Place chicken on a cutting board; cut into bite-sized pieces. Return chicken to pan. Stir in lime juice. Divide soup evenly among 4 bowls; top with radishes. Serve with corn muffins.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note