- 6 ounces Cajun smoked sausage, diced
- 1 1/2 pounds skinned and boned chicken thighs, cubed
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups organic vegetable broth
- 4 cups firmly packed chopped fresh collard greens
- 2 cups uncooked basmati rice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350°. Cook sausage in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring often, 5 to 7 minutes or until browned. Remove sausage using a slotted spoon; reserve drippings in Dutch oven. Drain sausage on paper towels.
Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Add oil to hot drippings in Dutch oven, and cook chicken in hot drippings over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes or until done. Add onion and next 3 ingredients. Cook, stirring often, 5 to 7 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in broth, next 3 ingredients, and sausage.
Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from heat; cover.
Bake pilau at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed, stirring halfway through. Serve pilau immediately.