DH and I really enjoyed this salad. Very filling. I didn't bother with the smoking part. And I chopped the chicken vs. shredding it to save time. Also, we used the entire avocado. DD wouldn't go for the blue cheese but some shredded cheddar or jack is an easy sub.
Smoked Chicken Cobb Salad with Avocado Dressing
More From Cooking Light
Total: 48 Minutes
- Calories: 333
- Fat: 21.7g
- Saturated fat: 5.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 11.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.8g
- Protein: 27.2g
- Carbohydrate: 8.9g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Cholesterol: 154mg
- Iron: 2.9mg
- Sodium: 487mg
- Calcium: 146mg
- Avocado dressing:
- 1/2 cup diced peeled avocado
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 center-cut bacon slices
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 cup hickory wood chips
- 1/3 cup unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup diced peeled avocado
- 2 heirloom tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 hard-cooked large eggs, chilled and quartered lengthwise
- 1.5 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 1. To prepare dressing, combine first 7 ingredients in a mini food processor; process until smooth.
- 2. To prepare salad, cook bacon in a nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan; crumble. Add canola oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add chicken to pan; sauté 6 minutes on each side or until done. Cool slightly; shred with 2 forks.
- 3. Pierce 10 holes on one side of the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch disposable aluminum foil pan. Place holes over element on cooktop; place wood chips over holes inside pan. Place a shallow ovenproof bowl on opposite end of pan. Add chicken and stock to bowl. Heat element under holes to medium-high; let stand 1 minute or until chips begin to smoke. Carefully cover pan with foil. Reduce heat to low; smoke chicken 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Drain.
- 4. Combine spinach, romaine, and basil in a large bowl; toss. Arrange 2 cups spinach mixture on each of 4 plates. Divide bacon, chicken, 1/3 cup avocado, tomatoes, eggs, and cheese evenly among plates. Drizzle about 3 tablespoons dressing over each salad.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note