Braised Chicken with Cilantro, Mint and Chiles
Photo: Michael Turek
More From Food & Wine
Total: 45 Minutes
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 4 boneless chicken thighs, skinless
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup (packed) cilantro, plus leaves for garnish
- 1/2 cup (packed) mint leaves
- 1 (small) onion, quartered
- 2 poblano chiles, stemmed and seeded
- 1 jalapeño, stemmed and seeded
- 1/2 cup light cream or half-and-half
- Sliced pickled jalapeños, cooked rice and warm naan, for serving
- Make 3 slashes to the bone in each drumstick. Rub the chicken all over with the coriander and season with salt and white pepper.
- In a large Dutch oven or enameled cast-iron casserole, heat the oil. Add the chicken and cook over high heat, turning occasionally, until browned all over, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a blender or food processor, combine the 1 cup of cilantro with the mint, onion, poblanos and jalapeño and blend until finely chopped. Add the cream and 1/2 cup of water and puree until smooth.
- Pour the green sauce over the chicken and bring to a boil. Cover partially and simmer over moderately low heat until the chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle the chicken with cilantro and serve with jalapeños, rice and naan.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes