We loved this recipe! For camping trips I use canned chicken or roast beef for convenience. I combine meat, salsa or canned green chili enchilada sauce, shredded colby jack cheese and/or some sour cream with the meat or just do plain cheese. I have even added some canned refried beans, rolled them up, toothpicked them and heated them on my cast iron griddle over a campfire or on my gas grill. Easy, delicious and can be customized with whatever fillings you like. Serve with guacamole, a squeeze of lime, or your favorite hot sauce. Great snack food!
- 1 (16-ounce) jar picante sauce or salsa, divided
- 7 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 to 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 20 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- Toppings: guacamole, sour cream, shredded lettuce, diced tomato
- Combine 1 1/2 cups picante sauce and next 5 ingredients in a Dutch oven; cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, 25 minutes or until most of liquid evaporates. Spoon 1/3 cup mixture below center of each tortilla; top with 2 tablespoons cheese.
- Fold in 2 sides of tortillas to enclose filling. Fold over top and bottom edges of tortillas, making rectangles. Secure with wooden picks. Place, folded side down, on greased baking sheets. Coat chimichangas with cooking spray.
- Bake at 425° for 8 minutes; turn and bake 5 more minutes. Remove picks; top with remaining picante sauce and desired toppings.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note