Good but could use some modifications. I added crushed red pepper but it still wasn't spicy enough. I would add jalapeño next time.
Chicken Chili with Pesto
Becky Luigart-Stayner; Lydia DeGaris-Pursell
Swirl in a generous dollop of pesto before serving to liven up this classic white chili.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 327
- Calories from fat: 23%
- Fat: 8.5g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Protein: 30.3g
- Carbohydrate: 30.7g
- Fiber: 5.9g
- Cholesterol: 52mg
- Iron: 4.1mg
- Sodium: 769mg
- Calcium: 134mg
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped carrot
- 3/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/4 cup canned chopped green chiles
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (16-ounce) can cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons Classic Pesto
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and chicken; sauté 5 minutes. Add carrot, bell pepper, and celery; sauté 4 minutes. Add chiles and the next 6 ingredients (chiles though broth); bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes. Stir in Classic Pesto.
- Note: The chili and pesto can be made ahead and frozen for up to 3 months. Prepare and freeze 3 tablespoons Classic Pesto. Prepare the chili without Classic Pesto, and spoon into a freezer-safe container. Cool completely in refrigerator; cover and freeze. Thaw chili and pesto in refrigerator. Place chili in a large skillet; cook over medium-low heat until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally. Stir in Classic Pesto.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews