I made this exactly as written, with the exception of leaving out the jalapeño pepper. The only reason for the exception of the pepper is that my daughter and husband don't like things too hot. It was delicious. My husband gave it a 7.5 (anything without meat or chocolate can only get an 8 in his rating system) but I rate it outstanding. Delicious with some guacamole and chips. A keeper!
Tex-Mex Chicken Chili with Lime
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Caroline M. Cunningham
More From Southern Living
Total: 45 Minutes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1 medium-size red onion, diced
- 1 poblano or bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 red or green jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chipotle powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (16-oz.) cans navy beans, drained
- 1 (12-oz.) bottle white ale
- 4 cups shredded deli-roasted chicken
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Toppings: Lime Cream, fresh cilantro, green onions, lime wedges
- 1. Melt butter with oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add white onion and next 7 ingredients, and sauté 8 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic, and cook 30 seconds.
- 2. Stir in beans and beer, and cook 5 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Add chicken and broth; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 30 minutes until thickened. Serve with desired toppings.
- Note: We tested with Blue Moon Belgian White Wheat Ale.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note