This is one of my family's all-time favorite recipes. We make it almost once a week! I usually use ground turkey, since it is a little more accessible. Also, we make homemade refried black beans and put them on the tortilla first, then the lettuce and meat. Our kids love it, and so do we.
If you can't find ground chicken, grind your own by putting raw skinless, boneless chicken in a food processor. Pulse with the chopping blade until roughly chopped for the best texture. Tortillas are usually fried for tostadas, but here the tortillas are baked for a crunchy texture.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 341
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 11.6g
- Saturated fat: 5.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 35.9g
- Carbohydrate: 21.7g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 86mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 751mg
- Calcium: 296mg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup prechopped onion
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- 1/2 cup bottled fat-free salsa
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 4 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1 cup (4 ounces) preshredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend or cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 2 minutes or until onion begins to soften. Add cumin, chipotle, and cinnamon; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add chicken; cook 4 minutes or until chicken is done, stirring to crumble. Add salsa, water, and salt; cook 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in cilantro and lime juice; remove from heat.
- While chicken cooks, place tortillas directly on oven rack; bake at 400° for 5 minutes or until slightly crisp. Place 1 tortilla on each of 4 plates; top each tortilla with 1/4 cup lettuce, 3/4 cup chicken mixture, 1/4 cup cheese, and 1 tablespoon sour cream.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This