- 1 (16-oz.) package frozen black-eyed peas
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut in 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 large poblano pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (1.25-oz.) envelope white chicken chili seasoning mix
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- Wild Rice Crust Batter
How to Make It
Cook peas according to package directions; drain.
Preheat oven to 425°. Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add sausage, and sauté 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Add onion and poblano pepper, and sauté 3 minutes. Add flour and seasoning mix; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
Gradually add chicken broth, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of Dutch oven. Cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes or until broth begins to thicken. Stir in black-eyed peas and chicken, and bring to a boil.
Meanwhile, prepare Wild Rice Crust Batter as directed. Spoon hot chicken mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Spoon Wild Rice Crust Batter immediately over hot chicken mixture.
Bake at 425° for 35 to 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cooked through.