I didn't find this dry at all. I cut the recipe in half and there was plenty of liquid in the salsa verde. I didn't refrigerate it over night, just put it right in the oven. This will go into the regular rotation.
This easy Mexican casserole is a traditional way to use leftovers. Freshly assembled, the dish will be very full, but the contents settle a bit overnight. Because there's not much liquid, the chips around the edges of the dish remain crunchy.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 311
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 9.3g
- Saturated fat: 4.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 22.5g
- Carbohydrate: 33.1g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Cholesterol: 58mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 461mg
- Calcium: 263mg
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas, each cut into 8 wedges
- 1 1/2 cups salsa verde (such as Herdez)
- 3/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups shredded skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast
- 1 cup (4 ounces) preshredded Mexican blend cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Arrange half of tortilla wedges on a large baking sheet, overlapping some if necessary. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes or until crisp. Remove the tortilla wedges from pan. Repeat procedure with remaining tortilla wedges.
- Combine salsa, green onions, and 1/2 cup sour cream, stirring with a whisk. Place half of the tortilla wedges in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top evenly with 1 cup of chicken, about 1 cup of salsa mixture, and 1/2 cup of cheese. Repeat layers with the remaining tortilla wedges, 1 cup chicken, 1 cup salsa mixture, and 1/2 cup cheese (dish will be very full). Cover with foil coated with cooking spray. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Remove casserole from refrigerator; let stand at room temperature 15 minutes. Bake casserole, covered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 20 minutes or until bubbly around the edges and cheese begins to brown.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch