Yum! I have made it twice in two weeks. Very easy and the ingredients are inexpensive and generally things I keep in my home. I didn't use organic chickpeas but followed the recipe otherwise. The cooking time they suggested was a little long. The chicken was cooked after five hours- I tried cooking it for six hours the second time I made it and it was too tough.
Chicken and Chickpea Tagine
Hearty canned chickpeas hold up beautifully in the slow cooker, where they're combined with fragrant spices and just a little stock. Since the chicken cooks on top of the chickpea mixture and is not submerged in liquid, it can cook longer without suffering texturally.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 7 Hours, 20 Minutes
- Calories: 255
- Fat: 6.9g
- Saturated fat: 1.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Protein: 22g
- Carbohydrate: 26.6g
- Fiber: 4.7g
- Cholesterol: 81mg
- Iron: 2.2mg
- Sodium: 412mg
- Calcium: 78mg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 8 (5-ounce) bone-in chicken thighs, skinned
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh garlic
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 cup unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 2/3 cup chopped dried apricots
- 2 (15-ounce) cans organic chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- Lemon wedges
- 1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Sprinkle meaty side of chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Add chicken to pan, meaty side down; cook 5 minutes or until well browned. Remove from pan (do not brown other side).
- 2. Add onion and garlic to pan; sauté 4 minutes. Add cumin and next 5 ingredients (through red pepper); cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, stock, honey, and cinnamon, scraping pan to loosen browned bits; bring to a simmer. Carefully pour mixture into a 6-quart electric slow cooker. Stir in apricots and chickpeas. Arrange chicken, browned side up, on top of chickpea mixture. Cover and cook on LOW for 7 hours. Discard cinnamon stick. Sprinkle with cilantro; serve with lemon wedges.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note