What a delightful chicken dish. This is easy enough to prepare on a weeknight, but elegant enough to serve to company. I used cherry-flavored Craisins and served with Trader Joe's Harvest Grains Blend, cardamom carrots, and roasted onions with balsamic. Will be making this often...delicious!
Chicken in Cherry Marsala Sauce
If you can't find dried cherries, use regular dried cranberries.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 breast half and about 1/4 cup sauce)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 297
- Calories from fat: 16%
- Fat: 5.4g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 40.5g
- Carbohydrate: 13.7g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Cholesterol: 101mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 464mg
- Calcium: 33mg
- 1/3 cup dried cherries
- 1/3 cup Marsala
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- Combine cherries and Marsala in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at high for 45 seconds, and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 4 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from pan; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cover and keep warm.
- Add butter to pan, and cook until butter melts. Add shallots and thyme; sauté 1 minute or until tender. Stir in broth, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add cherry mixture, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 2 minutes or until sauce is slightly thick. Serve chicken with sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note