Chicken and Cheese Chilies
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 211
- Calories from fat: 47%
- Protein: 21g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 4.7g
- Carbohydrate: 9.4g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Sodium: 316mg
- Cholesterol: 58mg
- 2 boned, skinned chicken breast halves (3/4 lb. total), each cut into quarters
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped tomato
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 can (4 oz.) diced green chilies
- 1 1/4 cups (5 oz.) shredded jack cheese with chilies
- About 1 pound fresh poblano chilies (also called pasillas; 6 to 8, equal-size), rinsed
- Crème fraîche or sour cream
- 1. Rinse chicken and pat dry. In a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over medium heat, combine chicken, onion, tomato, oil, garlic, and cumin. Stir often until chicken is slightly pink in center of thickest part (cut to test), 6 to 10 minutes.
- 2. Let stand until chicken is cool enough to touch, then tear meat into shreds. Return to pan. Add bell pepper, canned chilies, and cheese; mix.
- 3. Wearing rubber gloves, cut poblanos in half lengthwise. With a knife, cut seed lump from beneath the stem inside each chili, leaving stem end in place (to form a cup). Pull out and discard veins.
- 4. Mound chicken mixture equally in chili halves. Set chilies in an oiled 9- by 13-inch casserole, filling it. Cover tightly with foil.
- 5. Bake in a 375° oven until the poblanos are tender when pierced, about 35 minutes.
- 6. Serve chilies with a spatula. Add crème fraîche and salt to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes