This was very good but it was way too much trouble to make. I doubt that I will bother with it again. There are too many very good recipes that aren't nearly as much trouble to make.
Chicken Cassoulet with Acorn Squash
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 261
- Calories from fat: 21%
- Fat: 6.1g
- Saturated fat: 2.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 25g
- Carbohydrate: 27.8g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Cholesterol: 50mg
- Iron: 6mg
- Sodium: 817mg
- Calcium: 108mg
- 1 tablespoon stick margarine or butter
- 2 cups chopped onion, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry Marsala or apple cider
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups diced peeled acorn squash
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 2 (15-ounce) cans Great Northern beans, drained
- 1 pound skinned, boned chicken breast
- 2 bacon slices
- 1/2 pound smoked turkey sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Melt margarine in a large ovenproof Dutch oven over medium heat. Add 1 cup onion and garlic, and sauté for 5 minutes. Add Marsala, parsley, 1/4 teaspoon thyme, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1/4 teaspoon salt, basil, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Spoon into a bowl; set aside.
- Combine 1/4 teaspoon salt, 2 cups water, squash, and carrot in pan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Partially mash the beans with a potato masher, and add beans and tomato mixture to pan. Cook over medium-low heat 30 minutes or until thick. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Rub chicken with 1/2 teaspoon thyme and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; set aside. Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan; crumble bacon, and set aside. Add chicken to bacon drippings in pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove chicken from skillet; cut into 1-inch pieces. Add 1 cup onion and sausage to skillet; sauté 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add the chicken, crumbled bacon, and sausage mixture to bean mixture in pan, stirring to combine.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 1 hour. Uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles