This was fabulous! Wonderful variety of flavors! I was nervous that my husband would not like it because he is an extremely picky eater but he loved it! I used chicken quarters instead of thighs, and marinated them with olive oil, lemon juice, and rosemary. I then followed the recipe as described except I added fresh sage and thyme, and i let the whole dish slow simmer about an hour before i put it in the oven for about 20 minutes to let the bread crumbs brown. Turned out great! Will definitely make again. I agree with adding less chicken broth if you do not want a soupy result, but it was good either way.
Charles E. Walton IV
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs (about 2 pounds)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces chicken sausage or kielbasa, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 celery rib, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 carrots, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (19-ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian or flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Sprinkle chicken evenly with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large deep-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, and cook in batches, turning occasionally, 10 minutes or until well browned. Remove chicken to a plate, and set aside.
- 2. Add sausage to skillet, and cook, turning often, for 6 minutes or until sausage is well browned. Remove from skillet.
- 3. Reduce heat to medium, and add onion, celery, and carrot to skillet. Cook, stirring often, 10 minutes or until softened. Stir in garlic, and cook 1 minute. Stir in broth, and scrape up any browned bits from bottom of skillet. Add tomato, next 3 ingredients, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper; stir to mix well. Add chicken and sausage. Spoon into a 13- x 9-inch (4-quart) casserole dish.
- 4. Cover and refrigerate overnight, or combine breadcrumbs and remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a small bowl; stir to mix well. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle mixture over casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and crumbs are lightly browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note