This was fabulous! Wonderful variety of flavors! I was nervous that my husband would not like it because he is an extremely picky eater but he loved it! I used chicken quarters instead of thighs, and marinated them with olive oil, lemon juice, and rosemary. I then followed the recipe as described except I added fresh sage and thyme, and i let the whole dish slow simmer about an hour before i put it in the oven for about 20 minutes to let the bread crumbs brown. Turned out great! Will definitely make again. I agree with adding less chicken broth if you do not want a soupy result, but it was good either way.
Charles E. Walton IV
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs (about 2 pounds)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces chicken sausage or kielbasa, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 celery rib, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 carrots, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (19-ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian or flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Sprinkle chicken evenly with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large deep-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, and cook in batches, turning occasionally, 10 minutes or until well browned. Remove chicken to a plate, and set aside.
- 2. Add sausage to skillet, and cook, turning often, for 6 minutes or until sausage is well browned. Remove from skillet.
- 3. Reduce heat to medium, and add onion, celery, and carrot to skillet. Cook, stirring often, 10 minutes or until softened. Stir in garlic, and cook 1 minute. Stir in broth, and scrape up any browned bits from bottom of skillet. Add tomato, next 3 ingredients, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper; stir to mix well. Add chicken and sausage. Spoon into a 13- x 9-inch (4-quart) casserole dish.
- 4. Cover and refrigerate overnight, or combine breadcrumbs and remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a small bowl; stir to mix well. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle mixture over casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and crumbs are lightly browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles