This is one of my favorite dishes we have made! Better than picking up Chinese takeout or even IMO dining at PF Chang's (one of my very faves). Just the right amount of spicy, Asian and satisfying. Add some sticky rice, and you have a weeknight hit on your hands. Oh, and best of all, it's pretty easy! We made it exactly as the recipe reads.
Chicken, Cashew, and Red Pepper Stir-Fry
Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Leigh Ann Ross
This chicken stir-fry dish balances salty, sweet, tangy, and spicy ingredients. Spoon it alongside a quick rice pilaf.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 324
- Fat: 16.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 9.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.8g
- Protein: 30g
- Carbohydrate: 13.5g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 66mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 350mg
- Calcium: 33mg
- 3 3/4 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 2 teaspoons dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 1 pound chicken breast tenders, cut lengthwise into thin strips
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped unsalted cashews
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups julienne-cut red bell pepper (about 1 large)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
- 1. Combine 1 teaspoon cornstarch, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, and next 4 ingredients (through hot pepper sauce) in a small bowl; stir with a whisk.
- 2. Combine remaining 2 3/4 teaspoons cornstarch, remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce, and chicken in a medium bowl; toss well to coat.
- 3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add cashews to pan; cook 3 minutes or until lightly toasted, stirring frequently. Remove from pan.
- 4. Add oil to pan, swirling to coat. Add chicken mixture to pan; sauté 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove chicken from pan; place in a bowl. Add bell pepper to pan; sauté 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and ginger; cook 30 seconds. Add chicken and cornstarch mixture to pan; cook 1 minute or until sauce is slightly thick. Sprinkle with cashews and green onions.
- Quick rice pilaf: Cook 1 (10-ounce) package frozen white rice (such as Birds Eye SteamFresh) according to package directions. Combine cooked rice, 2 tablespoons drained chopped water chestnuts, 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes