This was easy to make, and quick. I added a generous handful of kale to the recipe at the end to include something green. The sauce wasn't enough and I used marsala to improvise on the dry sherry. This was a standard meal, not much thrill, but that was just fine.
Chicken, Cashew, and Red Pepper Stir-Fry
This chicken stir-fry dish balances salty, sweet, tangy, and spicy ingredients. Spoon it alongside a quick rice pilaf for the perfect meal.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 324
- Fat: 16.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 9.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.8g
- Protein: 30g
- Carbohydrate: 13.5g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 66mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 350mg
- Calcium: 33mg
- 3 3/4 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 2 teaspoons dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 1 pound chicken breast tenders, cut lengthwise into thin strips
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped unsalted cashews
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups julienne-cut red bell pepper (about 1 large)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
- 1. Combine 1 teaspoon cornstarch, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, and next 4 ingredients (through hot pepper sauce) in a small bowl; stir with a whisk.
- 2. Combine remaining 2 3/4 teaspoons cornstarch, remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce, and chicken in a medium bowl; toss well to coat.
- 3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add cashews to pan; cook 3 minutes or until lightly toasted, stirring frequently. Remove from pan.
- 4. Add oil to pan, swirling to coat. Add chicken mixture to pan; sauté 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove chicken from pan; place in a bowl. Add bell pepper to pan; sauté 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and ginger; cook 30 seconds. Add chicken and cornstarch mixture to pan; cook 1 minute or until sauce is slightly thick. Sprinkle with cashews and green onions.
- Quick rice pilaf: Cook 1 (10-ounce) package frozen white rice (such as Birds Eye SteamFresh) according to package directions. Combine cooked rice, 2 tablespoons drained chopped water chestnuts, 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This