This recipe was very tasty and a nice variation on what to do with chicken. Followed the recipe pretty much exactly, but found that my mixture was a bit dry, so my cakes didn't stay together as well as I would have liked. Maybe I'll add a tablespoon or two of chicken stock to the mixture next time. Creole Sauce complimented it perfectly. Will be making again.
Chicken Cakes with Creole Sauce
To make this chicken recipe lighter, we reduced the oil and butter in the original recipe, and light mayo was substituted for the full-fat version.
More From Southern Living
- Calories: 123
- Calories from fat: 48%
- Fat: 6.6g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 3.8g
- Carbohydrate: 12.4g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Cholesterol: 33mg
- Iron: 0.8mg
- Sodium: 370mg
- Calcium: 55mg
- 1/2 medium-size red bell pepper, diced
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Creole mustard
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- Creole Sauce
- Sauté first 3 ingredients in a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Wipe skillet clean.
- Stir together bell pepper mixture, chicken, and next 5 ingredients in a bowl. Shape chicken mixture into 8 (3 1/2-inch) patties. Cover and chill 15 minutes.
- Cook patties, in 2 batches, in skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat 3 minutes on each side or until golden. Serve immediately with Creole Sauce.
- Calories (including 2 tablespoons Creole Sauce).
- Original recipe (including Creole Sauce): Calories 474 (75% from fat); Fat 40g (sat 8g); Chol: 104mg.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note