Chicken Caesar Salad
Use drained yogurt as the foundation for a creamy, low-fat Caesar salad dressing. Store the remaining spice blend in an airtight container; it's also good on pork chops, pork tenderloin, or beef tenderloin steaks. If you don't have a spice or coffee grinder, use a mortar and pestle.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 291
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 5.3g
- Saturated fat: 1.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 35.6g
- Carbohydrate: 22g
- Fiber: 3.8g
- Cholesterol: 71mg
- Iron: 3.1mg
- Sodium: 706mg
- Calcium: 244mg
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 cups (1-inch) cubed whole wheat bread (about 4 [1-ounce] slices)
- Olive oil-flavored cooking spray
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian Spice Blend
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Dash of salt
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon Italian Spice Blend (page 158)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Remaining ingredients:
- 6 cups sliced romaine lettuce
- 3 cups trimmed watercress (about 1 large bunch)
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- To prepare dressing, place a colander in a 2-quart glass measure or medium bowl. Line colander with 4 layers of cheesecloth, allowing cheesecloth to extend over sides. Spoon yogurt into colander. Cover loosely with plastic wrap; refrigerate 12 hours. Spoon yogurt cheese into a bowl; discard liquid. Combine yogurt cheese, 1 1/2 tablespoons water, mustard, vinegar, and garlic; stir well. Set dressing aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare croutons, arrange bread cubes in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan. Lightly coat bread cubes with cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with 1/4 teaspoon Italian Spice Blend, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and dash of salt; toss well to coat. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned; set aside.
- To prepare chicken, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Rub chicken with 1 teaspoon Italian Spice Blend, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Coat skillet with cooking spray. Place chicken in pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from pan; cool slightly. Cut chicken across grain into thin slices.
- To assemble salad, combine croutons, romaine lettuce, and watercress in a large bowl. Drizzle with dressing; toss well to coat. Place 2 cups salad on each of 4 plates. Divide the sliced chicken evenly among salads, and sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle with additional freshly ground black pepper, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note