I first saw this recipe in last month's magazine and tried it - it was perfect for my family of 3. It was quick, easy and I am actually making it again tonight. I like the idea of throwing in some other veggies - I have some frozen peas that I'm going to add to it tonight. Thank you for an outstanding easy meal !!
Chicken-and-Cabbage Fried Rice
Photo: Julie Bidwell; Styling: Gerri Williams for James Reps
More From Allyou
Amount per serving
- Calories: 630
- Fat: 26g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Protein: 34g
- Carbohydrate: 64g
- Fiber: 5g
- Cholesterol: 218mg
- Sodium: 565mg
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups cored and chopped napa cabbage (about 1/4 small head)
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped, white and green parts separated (about 1 cup total)
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 5 cups cooked brown or white rice
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 cups shredded cooked boneless, skinless chicken, from a rotisserie bird (about 8 oz.)
- 1. Warm 2 Tbsp. oil in a wok or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until oil is shimmering. Add cabbage, onion and white parts of scallions and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add ginger and garlic to skillet, toss to combine with cabbage mixture and stir-fry for an additional 15 to 20 seconds. Transfer to a wide, shallow bowl or plate.
- 2. Warm remaining 3 Tbsp. oil in same skillet. Add rice, mix to coat with oil and spread out in pan (but don't press flat). Let rice cook undisturbed for 2 minutes, then stir. Let cook undisturbed 1 minute longer, then push to edges of pan. Add eggs to center of pan and stir to scramble. Break eggs into pieces and stir into rice.
- 3. Drizzle soy sauce over rice, add chicken and stir to combine well. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes longer to warm through. Stir in cabbage mixture and half of scallion greens and continue cooking and stirring until warmed through, about 1 minute. Sprinkle with remaining scallion greens and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note