Chicken Burritos with Black-Bean Salsa and Pepper Jack
Pepper Jack cheese looks innocent enough but adds a nice kick to these burritos. If you prefer a milder taste, use regular Jack instead.
- 1 2/3 cups drained and rinsed black beans (from one 15-ounce can)
- 2 scallions including green tops, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 4)
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound pepper Jack cheese, grated
- 4 large (9-inch) flour tortillas
- 1. Light the grill or heat the broiler. In a small glass or stainless-steel bowl, combine the beans, scallions, lemon juice, cumin, and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt.
- 2. Rub the chicken breasts with the chili powder, pepper, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook the chicken over moderate heat for 5 minutes. Turn and cook until brown and just done, 4 to 5 minutes longer. Remove, let the chicken rest for a few minutes, and then slice.
- 3. Heat the oven to 350°. Put one quarter of the cheese in a line near one edge of each tortilla. Top the cheese with one quarter of the black-bean salsa and then with one quarter of the chicken slices. Roll up the burritos and wrap each one in foil. Bake them until the cheese melts, about 15 minutes.
- Menu Suggestions: Embellish your burritos with sour cream or salsa, if you like. Sliced tomatoes or rice would make good side dishes.
- Do-Ahead Tip: You can assemble the burritos ahead of time and bake them just before serving. If theyve been in the refrigerator, add about five minutes to the baking time.
- Wine Recommendation: With the heat from the cheese, stay away from any serious, high-alcohol, low-acid wines. Try a white from a cooler growing area such as a riesling from the Finger Lakes region of New York or any white from the Alto Adige region of Italy. A cold beer is a great alternative.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note