Um...yes. I substituted rotini pasta but regardless, this totally filled my need for everything carb-y, cheesy and oh so bad for you. The turmeric is a great trick and the broccoli helped me hate myself less for eating something my brain was trying to tell me MUST be off limits.
Chicken-Broccoli Mac and Cheese with Bacon
A little bit of turmeric enhances the color here; it's a bit of a trick that makes you perceive the sauce as cheesier than it actually is.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 25 Minutes
- Calories: 343
- Fat: 12.2g
- Saturated fat: 6.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 26g
- Carbohydrate: 31g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 64mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 647mg
- Calcium: 265mg
- 6 ounces uncooked large or regular elbow macaroni
- 3 cups prechopped broccoli florets
- 3 bacon slices, coarsely chopped
- 12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 1/4 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 cup unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 5 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1. Preheat broiler to high.
- 2. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Add broccoli to pan during last 2 minutes of cooking. Drain.
- 3. While pasta cooks, place bacon in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat; cook 4 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Remove bacon from pan with a slotted spoon; reserve 1 1/2 teaspoons drippings in pan. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add chicken to drippings in pan; cook 4 minutes. Sprinkle with garlic; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with turmeric; cook 30 seconds, stirring frequently.
- 4. Combine remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, milk, stock, and flour, stirring with a whisk. Add milk mixture to pan; bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Cook 2 minutes or until thickened. Add pasta mixture and 2 ounces cheese; toss to coat. Sprinkle with remaining 3 ounces cheese and bacon. Broil 2 minutes or until cheese melts and just begins to brown.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note