Chicken-Broccoli Mac and Cheese with Bacon
- 6 ounces uncooked large or regular elbow macaroni
- 3 cups prechopped broccoli florets
- 3 bacon slices, coarsely chopped
- 12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 1/4 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 cup unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 5 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 1/4 cups)
- calories 343
- fat 12.2 g
- satfat 6.5 g
- monofat 3.7 g
- polyfat 0.9 g
- protein 26 g
- carbohydrate 31 g
- fiber 2 g
- cholesterol 64 mg
- iron 2 mg
- sodium 647 mg
- calcium 265 mg
How to Make It
Preheat broiler to high.
Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Add broccoli to pan during last 2 minutes of cooking. Drain.
While pasta cooks, place bacon in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat; cook 4 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Remove bacon from pan with a slotted spoon; reserve 1 1/2 teaspoons drippings in pan. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add chicken to drippings in pan; cook 4 minutes. Sprinkle with garlic; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with turmeric; cook 30 seconds, stirring frequently.
Combine remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, milk, stock, and flour, stirring with a whisk. Add milk mixture to pan; bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Cook 2 minutes or until thickened. Add pasta mixture and 2 ounces cheese; toss to coat. Sprinkle with remaining 3 ounces cheese and bacon. Broil 2 minutes or until cheese melts and just begins to brown.