This is outstanding. Have made it twice for large family gatherings, never one bite left, even though I MORE than double or triple the recipe. Easy to adapt to your liking. I actully used Costco brand pulled pork (no sauce on it). It's sold in a 2 lb package. I heated it in the microwave and degreased with paper towels. Added it with the rest, not later. Also used boneless, skinless chicken tenderloins. I add bell pepper with the onion, way more garlic and vegetables, as well as some thin BBQ sauce. The second time I made it a week ahead and froze it in gallon gallon ziplock bags. Thawed overnight and put in crockpot the day I served it. Wonderful recipe! Thanks!
Chicken-and-Brisket Brunswick Stew
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Jan Gautro
More From Southern Living
Total: 2 Hours, 40 Minutes
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons jarred beef soup base
- 2 pounds skinned and boned chicken breasts
- 1 (28-oz.) can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1 (12-oz.) package frozen white shoepeg or whole kernel corn
- 1 (10-oz.) package frozen cream-style corn, thawed
- 1 (9-oz.) package frozen baby lima beans
- 1 (12-oz.) bottle chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 pound chopped barbecued beef brisket (without sauce)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Hot sauce (optional)
- 1. Sauté onions and garlic in hot oil in a 7.5-qt. Dutch oven over medium-high heat 3 to 5 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Stir together beef soup base and 2 cups water, and add to Dutch oven. Stir in chicken and next 9 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, 2 hours.
- 3. Uncover and shred chicken into large pieces using 2 forks. Stir in brisket and lemon juice. Cover and cook 10 minutes. Serve with hot sauce, if desired.
- Note: We tested with Superior Touch Better Than Bouillon Beef Base and Muir Glen Organic Fire Roasted Crushed Tomatoes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes