This was REALLY good. It's easy to prepare and delicious. One thing though, beware the wild rice you use. The one that I used only took 30 minutes to prepare, rather than the 1 hour stated in this recipe, so I suggest you check the package instructions before you make it. Other than that, enjoy this wonderful meal on a weeknight or even for a dinner party!
Chicken Breasts with Wild Rice-and-Fig Pilaf
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 chicken breast half and 1 cup rice)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 414
- Calories from fat: 16%
- Fat: 7.6g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Protein: 37.1g
- Carbohydrate: 51g
- Fiber: 7.1g
- Cholesterol: 82mg
- Iron: 3.1mg
- Sodium: 869mg
- Calcium: 94mg
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 (16-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped dried figs
- 2 ounces prosciutto or ham, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 4 (4-ounce) skinned, boned chicken breast halves
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Thyme sprigs (optional)
- Bring water and broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the wild rice; cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour or until rice is tender.
- Melt the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery; sauté for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in the rice, figs, prosciutto, thyme, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and paprika. Remove from heat, and keep warm.
- Sprinkle the chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken breasts, and cook for 7 minutes on each side or until done. Serve the chicken with wild rice pilaf, and garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes