Looking for morel mushrooms and found them for little under $ 11 on sale for a tiny packet. While the rest of the recipe ingredients are inexpensive both my husband and i agreed we could splurge a bit on these mushrooms. Well, made the dish tonight and i'm not impressed. As previous posts said, this is kind of "blah", yes, the morels add flavor but to make this really an outstanding recipe i would have to add quite a bit of these priced morels. I don't think this recipe will be in my favorite binder.
Chicken Breasts with Mushroom Sauce
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Leigh Ann Ross
Butter and whipping cream add a wonderful lushness to this savory pan gravy, which features fresh morel and button mushrooms.
Yield: 6 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 452
- Fat: 14.2g
- Saturated fat: 7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Protein: 47g
- Carbohydrate: 32.2g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Cholesterol: 162mg
- Iron: 3.4mg
- Sodium: 489mg
- Calcium: 49mg
- 6 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces morel mushrooms
- 4 ounces button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 4 1/2 cups hot cooked egg noodles
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs (optional)
- 1. Place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; flatten to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or small heavy skillet. Heat 2 teaspoons butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle chicken evenly with salt and pepper. Add 2 breast halves to pan, and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until done. Repeat procedure twice with 4 teaspoons butter and remaining chicken. Keep warm.
- 2. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until moisture evaporates, stirring frequently. Remove mushroom mixture from pan. Add broth to pan; bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Cook until reduced to 1 cup (about 5 minutes). Return mushroom mixture to pan. Stir in cream; cook 2 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Place 3/4 cup egg noodles on each of 6 plates. Cut each chicken breast half into 1-inch-thick strips. Top each serving with 1 chicken breast half and about 1/3 cup mushroom mixture. Garnish each serving with parsley sprigs, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes