I love this meal and I make it often in my house. The only changes I made is that I use HOT turkey sausage instead of pork, I just use regular canned breadcrumbs instead of using the bread, add tons of garlic to the sauteed sausage mix (and sometimes a little parm cheese), and lastly, I will add a little tomato paste to the sauce at the end for a flavorful and colorful little twist. This is really a great and diverse recipe!
Chicken Breasts Stuffed with Italian Sausage and Breadcrumbs
Serve with sauteed zucchini and tomatoes for a complete meal ready in just 35 minutes
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1/2 chicken breast)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 233
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 7.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 21.9g
- Carbohydrate: 11.5g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Cholesterol: 65mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 774mg
- Calcium: 47mg
- 1 (4-ounce) Italian sausage link
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 (1 1/2-ounce) slice sourdough bread, toasted and crusts removed
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- Remove casing from sausage; crumble sausage. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage, onion, and celery; sauté 5 minutes or until sausage is browned and onion is golden. Add wine to pan; cook 1 minute or until most of liquid is absorbed.
- Rub each side of bread with cut sides of garlic; discard garlic. Coarsely crumble bread; add to sausage mixture. Stir in parsley, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Let stand 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed; toss to combine.
- Place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of plastic wrap; pound to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Place half of stuffing on one side of each chicken breast half, leaving a 1-inch border around sides. Fold remaining half of each chicken breast over stuffing, and secure with wooden picks. Sprinkle chicken with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat the pan with cooking spray. Add stuffed chicken breast halves to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side. Add chicken broth, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove the wooden picks; slice breasts in half. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes