Really good but took forever to make!! All in close to an hour and a half including the mushroom essence. Tasted delicious but not worth all the work and most difinitly not an easy weeknight meal
Chicken Breast and Mushroom Casserole
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 376
- Calories from fat: 11%
- Protein: 43g
- Fat: 4.7g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Carbohydrate: 40g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Sodium: 655mg
- Cholesterol: 75mg
- Mushroom Essence
- 1 pound boned, skinned chicken breast halves, rinsed
- 3/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 2 tablespoons cream sherry
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 pounds thin-skinned potatoes, rinsed, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- About 1/2 cup low-fat (1%) milk
- 1/4 cup shredded gruyère or Swiss cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 1. Pour one recipe's worth of Mushroom Essence through a fine strainer into a 4- to 5-quart pan; discard the ginger. Put mushrooms in a shallow 10- to 11-inch oval casserole (about 2 1/2 qt.). Cut each chicken breast in half horizontally into two thinner pieces. Add chicken, 1/2 cup green onions, capers, sherry, soy sauce, and ginger to mushrooms; mix and spread level. Cover casserole tightly with foil.
- 2. Bake chicken in a 375° oven until meat is no longer pink in center of thickest part (cut to test), about 15 minutes; keep warm.
- 3. While chicken bakes, add potatoes and tarragon to mushroom broth. Bring to a boil over high heat; cover and simmer until potatoes are soft enough to mash easily, about 15 minutes. Drain potatoes in a strainer over a bowl. Pour liquid back into pan and put potatoes in the bowl.
- 4. Uncover chicken and drain juices into pan. Boil liquid over high heat until reduced to about 3/4 cup, 4 to 5 minutes. In a small bowl, blend cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water and stir into boiling liquid; stir until boiling again, and remove from heat. Turn oven to broil.
- 5. Meanwhile, with a potato masher or a mixer, mash potatoes until smooth, adding enough milk for desired texture. Push chicken and mushrooms toward center of casserole to leave a 1-inch space around the edge. Spoon potatoes (or pipe through a pastry bag with a large plain or star tip) into space. Pour sauce over chicken mixture. Sprinkle potatoes with cheese.
- 6. Broil about 4 inches from heat until cheese is very lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup green onions. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This