- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 (8-oz.) packages fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sliced chives
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped rosemary
- 2 teaspoons chopped thyme leaves
- 8 cups shredded cooked chicken
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/4 cups chilled buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped cooked bacon (about 5 thick bacon slices)
- Garnishes: chopped fresh chives and parsley
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 400°. Melt 3 Tbsp. butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add carrots and onion, and sauté 5 minutes. Add mushrooms; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Add wine; cook 2 minutes. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, and cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes. Slowly add broth, stirring constantly; bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly, 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cream and next 5 ingredients. Stir in chicken, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and remove from heat.
Whisk together 2 1/2 cups self-rising flour and 1/2 tsp. sugar in a medium bowl. Stir together buttermilk and 1/2 cup melted butter in a small bowl. Stir buttermilk mixture and bacon into flour mixture until dough pulls away from sides of bowl.
Return chicken mixture to medium-high heat; cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes or until bubbly and hot. Spoon mixture into buttered 3-qt. ceramic or glass baking dish. Drop biscuit dough by level 1/4 cupfuls, 1/2 inch apart, onto chicken mixture.
Bake at 400° for 30 to 35 minutes or until browned and bubbly.