Really liked it and listened to others adding extra beans and pumpkin. Might change up the spices next time, although not sure to what quite yet.
Chicken-and-White Bean Chili with Pumpkin
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Linda Hirst
More From Coastal Living
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups peeled and cubed pumpkin, calabaza, or butternut squash
- 2 (14-ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Garnishes: sour cream, sliced jalapeños, chopped fresh cilantro
- 1. Stir together first 5 ingredients in a small bowl. Combine chicken and 1 tablespoon spice mixture in a medium bowl, and toss to coat. Set aside remaining spice mixture.
- 2. Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat; add chicken and cook, stirring often, 5 minutes or until no longer pink. Transfer to a plate.
- 3. Add onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño to soup pot; cook over medium heat, stirring often, 5 minutes or until vegetables are softened. Stir in garlic and reserved spice mixture; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
- 4. Add pumpkin and next 5 ingredients to soup pot. Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, 25 minutes or until pumpkin is tender. Return chicken to pot; simmer 2 minutes or until heated through. Remove from heat, and stir in lime juice. Garnish, if desired. Will keep, covered in refrigerator, up to 3 days.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews