Great recipe. Loved the avocados and cilantro on top.
Chicken-and-White Bean Chili with Pumpkin
Packed with flavor, this recipe can easily be adapted for vegetarians. Simply exchange vegetable broth for chicken and omit the cubed chicken and stir in more beans.
More From Coastal Living
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups peeled and cubed pumpkin, calabaza, or butternut squash
- 2 (14-ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Garnishes: sour cream, sliced jalapeños, chopped fresh cilantro
- 1. Stir together first 5 ingredients in a small bowl. Combine chicken and 1 tablespoon spice mixture in a medium bowl, and toss to coat. Set aside remaining spice mixture.
- 2. Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat; add chicken and cook, stirring often, 5 minutes or until no longer pink. Transfer to a plate.
- 3. Add onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño to soup pot; cook over medium heat, stirring often, 5 minutes or until vegetables are softened. Stir in garlic and reserved spice mixture; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
- 4. Add pumpkin and next 5 ingredients to soup pot. Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, 25 minutes or until pumpkin is tender. Return chicken to pot; simmer 2 minutes or until heated through. Remove from heat, and stir in lime juice. Garnish, if desired. Will keep, covered in refrigerator, up to 3 days.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note