Based on previous reviews I did modify the recipe some. I added a little extra pizza sauce, a little extra cheese and substituted about 1/6 of the chicken with sausage. This is a recipe you can play with to your personal taste. To be honest, I think I would stick with the recommended 3/4 cup of sauce next time but add some veggies. I would like to see another CL recipe for a more traditional style calzone.
Chicken and Basil Calzones
Photo: Beau Gustafson; Styling: Cindy Barr
Ground chicken breast is a lean alternative to beef. Substitute ground sirloin, if you prefer.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 calzone)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 459
- Calories from fat: 14%
- Fat: 7.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 39.1g
- Carbohydrate: 56.4g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 74mg
- Iron: 3.7mg
- Sodium: 919mg
- Calcium: 111mg
- Cooking spray
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- 3/4 cup prepared pizza sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 (13.8-ounce) can refrigerated pizza crust dough
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°.
- 2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add garlic and chicken to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, stirring to crumble. Stir in pizza sauce and pepper. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in basil. Let stand 10 minutes.
- 3. Unroll dough onto a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; cut dough into quarters. Pat each portion into an 8 x 6–inch rectangle. Divide chicken mixture evenly among rectangles; top each serving with 2 tablespoons cheese. Working with one rectangle at a time, fold dough in half over filling, pinching edges to seal. Repeat procedure with remaining rectangles. Bake at 425° for 12 minutes or until golden.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sandwiches