This was way too much effort with not much reward. I should have really thought about all the ingredients--none of them add any real seasoning to the mix and even with added Kosher Salt and Season Salt (my go to seasonings), it wasn't very good. The pesto did add to the flavor but it took too long to be worth another try.
Chicken Barley Soup with Walnut Pesto
Habanero peppers are fiery hot, so handle them carefully. In this dish, you simply pierce the chile with a fork and float it in the broth as the soup cooks. Remove it with a slotted spoon before serving. If you prefer milder heat, use the same technique with a jalapeño.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 416
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 13.7g
- Saturated fat: 3.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.7g
- Protein: 41.8g
- Carbohydrate: 31.7g
- Fiber: 6.6g
- Cholesterol: 117mg
- Iron: 3.5mg
- Sodium: 641mg
- Calcium: 78mg
- 5 bacon slices, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 (4-inch) portobello mushroom caps, chopped
- 1 (3-pound) whole chicken, skinned
- 1 thyme sprig
- 4 1/2 quarts cold water
- 8 ounces Swiss chard
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (1/2-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped Granny Smith apple
- 1 habanero pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Add onion, garlic, and mushrooms to pan; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Set aside.
- 2. Remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken. Place chicken and thyme in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Cover with 4 1/2 quarts cold water; bring to a simmer. Skim fat from surface; discard. Remove stems and center ribs from Swiss chard. Coarsely chop stems and ribs; reserve leaves. Add stems, ribs, and next 5 ingredients (through apple) to pan; bring to a simmer. Pierce habanero with a fork; add to pan. Cook 35 minutes or until chicken is done.
- 3. Remove chicken from pan; cool slightly. Remove chicken from bones; chop meat. Discard bones, thyme sprig, and habanero. Strain barley mixture through a sieve over a bowl. Reserve 4 cups of broth for another use. Return remaining 6 cups broth to pan; bring to a boil. Cook 10 minutes. Return chicken and barley mixture to pan; bring to a simmer. Add mushroom mixture. Cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Stir in 3/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper.
- 4. To prepare pesto, cook Swiss chard leaves in boiling water 2 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water; drain. Place leaves, walnuts, and remaining ingredients in a food processor; process until smooth. Serve with soup.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note