Loaded Chicken-Bacon Pot Pie
- 5 thick bacon slices, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium-size sweet onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 (8-oz.) package fresh mushrooms, halved
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups reduced-sodium or organic chicken broth
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 4 cups shredded deli-roasted chicken
- 1 cup small frozen sweet peas
- 1/2 (17.3-oz.) package frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Garnish: fresh thyme
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 400°. Cook bacon in a Dutch oven over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp. Drain on paper towels, reserving 3 Tbsp. drippings.
Add onion to hot drippings, and sauté 3 minutes. Add garlic and next 2 ingredients; sauté 4 to 5 minutes or until carrots are crisp-tender. Remove from heat, and add wine. Return to heat; cook 2 minutes. Sprinkle with flour; cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes. Whisk in broth; bring to a boil. Boil, whisking constantly, 2 to 3 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cream and next 4 ingredients.
Remove from heat, and stir in chicken, peas, and bacon. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish. Place pastry over hot filling, pressing edges to seal and trimming off excess. (Use scraps to cover any exposed filling, if necessary.) Whisk together egg and 1 Tbsp. water. Brush over pastry.
Bake at 400° on lower oven rack 35 to 40 minutes or until browned and bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
Note: You can also make these in 6 (12-oz.) ramekins. Cut pastry into circles; place over ramekins after filling. Bake as directed.