Chicken-Avocado Tortilla Soup
This is a great soup!! Ross & Hedge love this!!
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 4 gloves garlic, peeled & chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups fat skimmed chicken broth (5 cans of 14 oz broth)
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (6 oz) diced greem chilies
- 14-18 corn tortillas (may need more)
- 1.5 pounds boned, skinned, chicken breasts
- 1 firm ripe avocado
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese (about)
- In a 5-6 quart nonstick pan over medium heat, stir onion, garlic, cumin, oregano, chili powder, and pepper until spices are fragrant, about 1 minute. Add broth. tomatoes (including juice), and green chilies. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Meanwhile, stack tortillas and cut into 1/8 inch wide strips. Add to boiling broth. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Rinse chicken and cut into 1/2 inch pieces. Peel the acocado, pit, and thinly slice.
- Add chicken to broth and return to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat, cover, and sinner until chicken is white in center (cut to test), about 5 minutes. Stir in cilantro and salt to taste. Ladle soup into bowls, garnish with avocado, and add cheese to taste.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by JohnsonFam and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Chicken-Avocado Tortilla Soup Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Soups/Stews