Very tasty, very easy and worth the veg. chopping time. I used Pace salsa in place of the tomato sauce. Adds an extra kick. My fiancee insists we cook it once a week!
Chicken and Andouille Jambalaya
Consider sound when cooking this dish. The andouille sizzles loudly at first, then quiets as it renders fat, indicating that it's nearly done. The vegetables cook softly as they release liquid. But the noise increases as they start to caramelize. Don't worry if the bottom of the pan becomes dark brown or even black in parts before you add the broth; it deepens the flavor of the dish.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 484
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Fat: 13.7g
- Saturated fat: 3.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Protein: 30.5g
- Carbohydrate: 63.3g
- Fiber: 5.7g
- Cholesterol: 78mg
- Iron: 3.9mg
- Sodium: 835mg
- Calcium: 79mg
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups andouille sausage (about 7 1/2 ounces), cut into (1/4-inch-thick) slices
- 3 cups finely chopped red bell pepper
- 3 cups finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 cups finely chopped celery
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 1/2 cups chopped skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped jalapeÃ±o pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 2 3/4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook until sizzling quiets (about 8 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- Add bell pepper, onion, celery, and bay leaves; cook until vegetables are golden brown, sizzle loudly, and begin to squeak (about 14 minutes), stirring occasionally. Add chicken and next 8 ingredients (through garlic); cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomato puree; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broth, and bring to a boil. Stir in rice. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Stir in green onions.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note