A great cold weather goody. Adding the okra like in the comments section sounds OK, also.
Chicken-Andouille Gumbo with Roasted Potatoes
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Jan Gautro
Yield: Makes 10 cups
More From Southern Living
Total: 3 Hours, 10 Minutes
- 1 pound andouille sausage, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 cup peanut oil
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
- 1 (48-oz.) container chicken broth
- 2 pounds skinned and boned chicken breasts
- Roasted Potatoes
- Toppings: chopped fresh parsley, cooked and crumbled bacon, hot sauce
- 1. Cook sausage in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring often, 7 minutes or until browned. Remove sausage; drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- 2. Heat oil in a stainless-steel Dutch oven over medium heat; gradually whisk in flour, and cook, whisking constantly, 18 to 20 minutes or until flour is caramel-colored. (Do not burn mixture.) Reduce heat to low, and cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is milk chocolate-colored and texture is smooth (about 2 minutes).
- 3. Increase heat to medium. Stir in onion, next 4 ingredients, and, if desired, ground red pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes. Gradually stir in chicken broth; add chicken and sausage. Increase heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 1 hour and 30 minutes to 1 hour and 40 minutes or until chicken is done. Shred chicken into large pieces using 2 forks.
- 4. Place Roasted Potatoes in serving bowls. Spoon gumbo over potatoes. Serve immediately with desired toppings.
- TRY THIS TWIST!
- Chicken-and-Shrimp Gumbo: Prepare recipe as directed through Step 3. Stir in 1/2 to 3/4 lb. peeled and deveined, medium-size raw shrimp (3 1/40 count). Cook 5 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Serve with Roasted Potatoes and desired toppings.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes