I haven't made this yet BUT am already disappointed. The summary could use some work. It lists the Yield as 4 1/2 quarts - but how many servings? It lists the Cook Time as 45 minutes, Prep Time, 20 minutes, and Chill (Time) as 30 minutes. So a little over 1.5 hours, right? But there are three steps that take an hour, and another that takes 45 minutes. I'm an experienced cook and so I know to read a recipe all the way through, but new cooks won't know that. I also think they should add that making it a day ahead is a good idea. For me, that's a positive. I'm making it tonight, my housekeeper is coming tomorrow (and thoroughly cleaning my kitchen), and book club is coming tomorrow night. Perfect! I'll update my rating after that....
Photo: Tina Cornett; Styling: Trinda Gage
Yield: 4 1/2 quarts
More From Southern Living
Chill: 30 Minutes
- 1 1/2 gallons water
- 1 (4-pound) chicken, cut up
- 5 bay leaves
- 5 parsley sprigs
- 3 whole garlic cloves
- 1 pound andouille or smoked sausage, diced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large celery rib, chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon filé powder
- Hot cooked rice
- Bring first 5 ingredients to a boil in a large stockpot; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour. Remove chicken, reserving broth. Skin, bone, and coarsely chop chicken; set aside. Pour broth through a wire-mesh strainer into a large bowl, discarding solids. Measure 1 gallon broth, and return to stockpot. Add sausage and next 5 ingredients; simmer, stirring occasionally, 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat; gradually whisk in flour, and cook, whisking constantly, until flour is a dark caramel color (about 20 minutes). Stir into sausage mixture, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 1 hour. Stir in chicken, salt, and red and black pepper; simmer, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes. Skim off fat.
- Stir in green onions and parsley; simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in filé powder. Serve over hot cooked rice with hot sauce, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes