- 1 1/2 gallons water
- 1 (4-pound) chicken, cut up
- 5 bay leaves
- 5 parsley sprigs
- 3 whole garlic cloves
- 1 pound andouille or smoked sausage, diced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large celery rib, chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon filé powder
- Hot cooked rice
How to Make It
Bring first 5 ingredients to a boil in a large stockpot; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour. Remove chicken, reserving broth. Skin, bone, and coarsely chop chicken; set aside. Pour broth through a wire-mesh strainer into a large bowl, discarding solids. Measure 1 gallon broth, and return to stockpot. Add sausage and next 5 ingredients; simmer, stirring occasionally, 1 hour.
Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat; gradually whisk in flour, and cook, whisking constantly, until flour is a dark caramel color (about 20 minutes). Stir into sausage mixture, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 1 hour. Stir in chicken, salt, and red and black pepper; simmer, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes. Skim off fat.
Stir in green onions and parsley; simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in filé powder. Serve over hot cooked rice with hot sauce, if desired.