- 1 pound andouille sausage, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 cup peanut oil
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
- 1 (48-oz.) container chicken broth
- 2 pounds skinned and boned chicken breasts
- Roasted Potatoes
- Toppings: chopped fresh parsley, cooked and crumbled bacon, hot sauce
How to Make It
Cook sausage in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring often, 7 minutes or until browned. Remove sausage; drain and pat dry with paper towels.
Heat oil in a stainless-steel Dutch oven over medium heat; gradually whisk in flour, and cook, whisking constantly, 18 to 20 minutes or until flour is caramel-colored. (Do not burn mixture.) Reduce heat to low, and cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is milk chocolate-colored and texture is smooth (about 2 minutes).
Increase heat to medium. Stir in onion, next 4 ingredients, and, if desired, ground red pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes. Gradually stir in chicken broth; add chicken and sausage. Increase heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 1 hour and 30 minutes to 1 hour and 40 minutes or until chicken is done. Shred chicken into large pieces using 2 forks.
Place Roasted Potatoes in serving bowls. Spoon gumbo over potatoes. Serve immediately with desired toppings.
TRY THIS TWIST!
Chicken-and-Shrimp Gumbo: Prepare recipe as directed through Step Stir in 1/2 to 3/4 lb. peeled and deveined, medium-size raw shrimp (3 1/40 count). Cook 5 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Serve with Roasted Potatoes and desired toppings.