Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
This is from the Junior League's 'Tables of Content'. I have made it once but got rave reviews.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 2 stick(s) butter
- 2 cube(s) chicken bouillon
- 8 cup(s) chicken broth (64 oz)
- 1 cup(s) chopped carrots
- 3/4 cup(s) chopped celery
- 3 cup(s) chopped cooked chicken
- 3/4 cup(s) chopped onion
- 8 ounce(s) fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cup(s) milk (I used 1 or 2%)
- 6 ounce(s) pkg long grain and wild rice mix with herbs
- Melt 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter in a dutch oven and add carrots, celery, and onion. Saute for 7 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in the broth, bouillon cubes, wild rice mix and the contents of the seasoning packet. Simmer for 30 to 40 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Melt 1/4 cup of the remaining butter in a skillet and add the mushrooms. Saute until tender. (I sauted until tender and browned) Melt the remaining 1/2 cup butter in another saucepan and stir in the flour. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until bubbly, whisking constantly. Stir in the milk gradually. Cook until the sauce coats the back of a spoon, stirring constantly. Add the sauce, sauteed mushrooms and chicken to the rice mixture and cook just until thickened, stirring occasionally. Ladle into soup bowls. (I served this with a hot loaf of artisan bread)
- Note - it calls for a dutch oven. I cooked the carrots, celery and onion in my cast iron chicken fryer and then transferred the soup to my big stock pot. Also, you definitely need a whisk when making the sauce.
- YOU CAN DO IT!
This recipe is a personal recipe added by alemmom and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Chicken and Wild Rice Soup Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Soups/Stews