Made a few changes: used only one half cup skim milk and sauteed fresh mushrooms, celery and scallions in butter. Turned out very good. Also added seaweed when cooking the rice. soy sauce to season. i will be making this again.
Chicken-and-Wild Rice Casserole
Chicken-and-Wild-Rice casserole is a classic comfort food recipe perfect for using up leftover cooked chicken. Try roasting a whole chicken on Sunday night, then make this casserole later in the week for a quick and easy dinner.
- 1 (6.2-ounce) package fast-cooking long-grain and wild rice mix
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1 (6-ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 (4.5-ounce) jar sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (2.5-ounce) package sliced almonds
- Cook rice mix according to package directions; set aside.
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, and saute until tender. Add flour, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Add broth, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in rice, chicken, and next 6 ingredients. Spoon into a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish. Top with almonds.
- Bake at 350° for 15 to 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note