- 1 (6.2-ounce) package fast-cooking long-grain and wild rice mix
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1 (6-ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 (4.5-ounce) jar sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (2.5-ounce) package sliced almonds
How to Make It
Cook rice mix according to package directions; set aside.
Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, and saute until tender. Add flour, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Add broth, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
Stir in rice, chicken, and next 6 ingredients. Spoon into a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish. Top with almonds.
Bake at 350° for 15 to 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated.