Chicken and Sausage gumbo
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 whole(s) chicken cut up
- 2 1/2 quart(s) water
- 2 cube(s) chicken bullion
- 1 bell peppers chopped
- 1 cup(s) celery stalks chopped
- 1 cup(s) onion chopped
- 1/4 cup(s) butter
- 1/4 cup(s) oil
- 1/2 cup(s) flour
- 1 (10oz) bag(s) frozen okra (if using fresh, about 2 1/2 cups sliced soak in salt water overnight, then rinse before adding)
- 2 pound(s) Smoked Sausage cut into 1 inch pieces
- salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
- 2 tablespoon(s) fresh garlic (4 to 5 cloves)
- Tony Chachere's or file powder to garnish
- In large stock pot, add chicken, water, bullion, and a little salt and pepper. Boil about 30 minutes, or until done.
- Meanwhile, chop veggies and set aside. When chicken is finished, reserve the broth and set the chicken aside to cool slightly.
- In large stockpot, melt butter with oil over med high heat until very hot. Using a wire whisk, mix in flour. Continue whisking constantly until the roux is the color of peanut butter. Quickly add all veggies and garlic. Continue to cook, stirring, about 3 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in reserved chicken broth. Add sausage, salt and pepper, garlic powder. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer. Bone chicken, then add the meat to the pot. Continue to simmer about 20 minutes. Add okra, simmer 10 more minutes. Serve over hot rice, garnished with a little file or cajun seasoning.
- Recommended Sides This gumbo is a meal by itself, but a little corn bread or biscuits couldn't hurt.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by LeaBraun and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note