More From Allyou
Stand: 10 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 934
- Fat: 46g
- Saturated fat: 12g
- Protein: 45g
- Carbohydrate: 86g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 159mg
- Sodium: 2mg
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 1 (10 oz.) package frozen cut okra, thawed
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 ribs celery with leaves, sliced
- 3/4 cup finely chopped, fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 12 chicken thighs
- 1 pound cooked andouille sausage or kielbasa, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
- 1 (14 to 16 oz.) can whole peeled tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup minced scallion greens
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar, or to taste
- 12 cups cooked white rice
- In a large bowl, stir together onions, okra, bell pepper, celery, 1/4 cup parsley, garlic, bay leaves, salt, thyme, cayenne, black pepper and allspice. Set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven, cook chicken in batches over medium heat until browned, about 5 minutes a side; transfer to a large bowl. Cook sausage in Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring constantly until lightly browned, about 6 minutes; transfer to bowl with chicken. Pour fat from Dutch oven into a glass measure and add enough vegetable oil to equal 2/3 cup. Pour into Dutch oven and heat over medium-low heat, scraping up any browned bits. Gradually whisk in flour and cook, stirring frequently, until it is a very dark, rich brown, about 30 minutes; be careful not to burn it.
- Add broth all at once and scrape up any browned bits. In another bowl, blend tomato paste with 2 cups water and stir into broth with chopped tomatoes. Add reserved vegetables, chicken and sausage. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour, until thickened.
- Stir in remaining 1/2 cup parsley, scallion greens and vinegar and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Remove Dutch oven from heat, cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Discard bay leaves.
- Serve gumbo on top of rice in bowls.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note