This chicken and rice dish is a quick, easy and comforting meal that the whole family will enjoy. Using ready-to-serve rice and frozen and canned veggies speeds up prep time and gets supper on the table in a snap.
More From Southern Living
- 1 1/2 pounds skinned and boned chicken breasts
- 2 (8.8-ounce) pouches ready-to-serve long-grain rice
- 4 bacon slices, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed*
- 1 (4-ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Garnish: fresh parsley sprigs
- Cut chicken into 1/4-inch slices, and set aside.
- Heat rice according to package directions; set aside.
- Sauté bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat 8 minutes or until crisp; remove bacon with a slotted spoon, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet.
- Sauté onion in hot drippings in skillet 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in chicken, and sauté 8 minutes or until chicken is done. Stir in rice, bacon, peas, and next 3 ingredients; cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Garnish, if desired.
- *4 ounces (about 1 heaping cup) snow peas may be substituted for green peas. Microwave snow peas and 1/4 cup water in a microwave-safe bowl 2 minutes before adding to chicken mixture. Proceed with recipe as directed.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Uncle Ben's Original Long Grain Ready Rice.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes